Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cost Effectiveness: Egg Whites Only v. Whole Eggs

A friend of mine was concerned about wasting the egg yolks for the sake of cleaner eating.  I thought it good information to share with all, as I recognize if one person has a question, many others may also.

It is actually cheaper to waste the yolks.  I use cage-free, organic eggs.  Walmart has cheap ones for about $2.34/dozen.  I prefer Eggland's Best, and when I find $.50 off one dozen coupons, I buy them at Homeland for about $1.34.  Homeland also sells Eggland's Best cheaper than Walmart (about $3.24) by about a $1.

Don't think of it as "wasting" the yolk.  The yolk holds all of the fat, sodium and cholesterol. Most of the protein, which is what you are after, is in the whites.

1 whole egg = 70 calories, 4g fat, 170mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 6g protein

1 egg white = 17 calories, 0g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 3.5g protein

The bad stuff in the egg is what you "waste."  If consumed, it will cost more money in the long run through your deteriorating health.

I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive comment!