- Cover in water & soak for at least 4 hours. While soaking, the almonds expand & the skin softens.
- Drain the almonds & rinse thoroughly.
- Skin almonds. Don't worry. The skin pops right off! You will be chasing almonds around your kitchen. My son helped me. It was that easy!
- Fill your blender with 4 cups of water.
- Add 1/2 cup of the skinless almonds.
- Blend well.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator & use within 3-4 days.
I'll break down the cost benefits for you. Net after soaking was approx. 3 cups almonds. For this recipe, that will make 24 cups of almond milk, or 1.5 gallons. Remember, I paid $5.99 per pound of almonds & bought only one pound. You may be able to get your almonds cheaper from a local farmer.
Cost per 1 cup equals $0.25, or $2 per half-gallon.
Pure Silk Almond Milk or Blue Diamond Almond milk is an average of $3.59 per half-gallon. Cost per 1 cup equals $0.45.
Total savings equals $0.20 per cup, or $1.59 per half-gallon, or 44% - that's almost HALF!!.
This is the kind of advice I give, for free, to people I coach through their fitness & nutrition. You can get it too by clicking on "Join," then "free membership" here www.fitfocusedfamily.com.